Are you looking for a dental clinic that will provide you with bone augmentation in Bratislava? At YLUX, you recieve an individual approach and professional solutions that guarantee the best results.
What is bone augmentation?
Bone augmentation, sometimes referred to as bone completion, is a surgical procedure in which bone material is replenished into the jaw. It is used when the patient has a bone that is too small or in situations of damaged bone tissue.
When is augmentation recommended?
Most patients undergo this procedure along with dental implantation, as they need to have enough space in the jaw bone to ensure its stability and firmness. Augmentation is also recommended in the following cases:
- If the patient lost a bone as a result of gum disease that was left untreated.
- If the patient lacks a tooth for a long time – in such cases there is loss of the jaw bone, and the longer the tooth is missing, the higher the risk of bone loss.
- If the patient has suffered an injury or trauma.
How to prevent bone loss?
Bone loss occurs when you are missing a tooth for longer than normal. Therefore, it is important to replace it as soon as possible with a dental implant, which serves as the root of the tooth and prevents soft tissue from overgrowing in the place where the dental crown should be.
Preparation for the procedure
Bone augmentation is a planned procedure, thanks to which you can properly prepare for it. It is important to follow your doctor’s instructions, which include the following tips:
- Do not eat food for two hours before the procedure.
- Drink only clean, plain water.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Talk to your doctor about the medications you are taking. Some of them may increase the risk of health complications, especially blood thinners.
- Bring an escort to the surgery to take you home.
- Before arriving at the clinic, brush your teeth and interdental areas thoroughly.
- Make sure you don’t have a cold and that you don’t have herpes or the flu.
The proceedengs of bone augmentation
The process of bone augmentation can be described in several steps:
- Consultation and initial examination – before you undergo the procedure, an initial examination and consultation is necessary. Your doctor will assess your current situation and discuss what solution is best for you. In this step, you also have the space to ask questions related to the entire procedure. Part of the preparation for augmentation and subsequent implantation is, of course, a thorough 3D X-ray examination or a bone scan.
- The procedure – the whole procedure is painless thanks to the use of local anesthesia. During the procedure, the doctor creates space in the soft tissue and applies synthetic bone material to it. He then covers it with a special membrane and connects the soft tissue by sewing. After completion, an X-ray is taken.
- Postoperative care – in order for the surgical wound to heal well it is important to follow the advice of your doctor. The healing period is approximately 6 to 12 weeks. In some cases, this period may be longer. The speed of healing depends on many factors, including the complexity of the procedure.
If you are looking for a clinic that will provide you with dental bone augmentation in Bratislava, we will be happy to help you. Contact us and solve your dental problem with the help of implant experts.
Recovery after the procedure
Recovery after bone augmentation usually takes 6 to 12 weeks, but in some cases several months. The entire recovery process can be supported by proper care and adherence to the instructions of your doctor. The healing of the wound itself takes about a month but is easily managed.
After the procedure, you should follow these recommendations:
- rest and avoid heavy physical activity,
- take painkillers,
- use cold compresses,
- eat food in a liquid and mashed state,
- avoid foods that irritate soft tissues, such as spicy foods.
The cost of bone augmentation
The cost of bone augmentation is estimated individually based on the current state of the jaw bone and the complexity of the procedure. Therefore, it is necessary to undergo an initial examination, during which your doctor, depending on the amount of augmentation material necessary, determines the procedure plan and pricing.
If you are interested in jaw bone augmentation and want to learn more, do not hesitate to contact us and arrange a consultation or initial examination.
Frequently Asked Questions about Bone Augmentation
How painful is bone augmentation?
Bone augmentation is painless thanks to local anesthesia. However, after the effect of anaesthesia has worn off, which occurs several hours after its administration, the patient may feel pain. It can be combated with the help of medicines recommended by your doctor.
How much does bone augmentation cost?
The final cost of bone augmentation depends on a number of factors and cannot be unequivocally estimated. More information will be provided by your doctor after the initial examination.
How long does bone augmentation take?
The exact duration of bone augmentation depends on the specific situation of the patient. However, it is usually a relatively short procedure (up to 1 hour). Your doctor will inform you of the exact time.
For whom is bone augmentation ideal?
Augmentation is an ideal solution for patients who are missing a tooth and who would like to have a dental implant but do not have enough jaw bone. This procedure provides not only sufficient space for the implant, but also a higher level of stability.